Thursday, June 2, 2011

How to replace alternator on 96 Saturn SC1?

I have heard that Saturn SCs are a headache to change the alternator on. I saw some instructions involving taking off the wheel and a bunch of other stuff, and having to get under the vehicle and all. I can't afford what these auto shops are quoting me, so I have no other choice but to do it myself. Does anyone have an actual manual for these cars, have done this before themselves, or have any other advice?How to replace alternator on 96 Saturn SC1?
IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE THIS THEN I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T.



IT IS VERY DIFFICULT AND YOU NEED A LIFT TO DO IT CORRECTLY, YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE THE TIRE, INNER SHIELD, REMOVE THE FUSE-ABLE LINK FROM THE ALTERNATOR TO THE BATTERY, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, REMOVER THE ALTERNATOR SHIELD AND DRIVE BELT THEN REMOVE THE ALTERNATOR ASSEMBLY.



ALSO IF YOU DO TRY THIS YOURSELF I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU GET AN EXTRA FUSE-ABLE LINK BECAUSE YOU WILL LIKELY BLOW IT WHEN YOU GO BACK.How to replace alternator on 96 Saturn SC1?
Is it difficult and a mechanic will charge about $300. The alternator is removed from under the car so you need a jack and jack stands to safely keep the car elevated. since you are working with an electrical circuit you will need to disconnect the battery. Then if you must do your-self get a book from a auto parts store or check your local library reference books. are you sure it is the alternator? You can have tested for free at Auto Zone or a Kragen etc.