Saturday, November 20, 2010

How do I change the alternator in an 1997 Chevry Lumina?

I need to put in an alternator in my car and I would rather do it myself if it's fairly simple. It's so expensive to take it somewhere.How do I change the alternator in an 1997 Chevry Lumina?
First go get a manual from AutoZone. It cost $13 and it will tell you exactly what to take off to get to it. It is a great investment because sooner or later something else needs to be fix or replaced. so you can go back for reference. good luckHow do I change the alternator in an 1997 Chevry Lumina?
Hey Man it is really easy just follow these 3 simple stips.

1: take up the car's hood and try to locate exact place I mean the alternator ,

2:watch it carefully and get some wrenches like 14/6mm,18/7mm,an adjustable wrenchs,try to unscrew the bolts, and at the same time place every bolt is you take it out in order so next time you can use it well.

3:finally you have finneshed taking the alternator out and install the new one at the same order !



yes i learned it while a mechanic was repairing my car in a highway to home ....This INFO was all that I remember may be You can just call a mechanic and let him tell you on the phone %26gt;%26gt;%26gt;How do I change the alternator in an 1997 Chevry Lumina?
that belt is under alot of tension dont just unbolt it. ive never worked on a lumina, so i cant walk you through it, but you will probably see a bracket with an adjustment of somekind, like a half-moon rather than just a hole, and when you loosen that youll have to find the bolt the alternator pivots on and just loosen that one too dont remove them yet and try to take tension off the belt by pivoting the alternator.i dont know how many bolts are in this application because iv never worked on this car. but just remember that you must get the tension off the belt before removing it.and a haynes repair manual is a good thing to have.