Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Can anyone help me with a vauxhall astra?

can anyone help me with instructions to change an alternator on this car. How do I remove the drive belt, and how do I tension the alternator. Details please. Thank you for any help.Can anyone help me with a vauxhall astra?
Im assuming the astra is either mk2mk3 or mk 4. In these cases it is all very similar.

Firstly disconnect the battery,

Now look down at the alternator, there will be a 13mm nut and bolt running at the top of the alternator joining it to the mounting bracket, slacken this off.

There is also a 13mm bolt holding the bottom of the alternator, undo this and the whole unit will pivot allowing you to remove the belt, Refitting of the belt requires the alternator to be prised into tension using a suitable bar.



To remove completley, remove the two pre mentioned bolts, u can now turn the alternator enough to remove the 13mm live nut from the back, and also the 10mm battery warning feed. Refitting is just a simple reversal.



Hope this helps.Can anyone help me with a vauxhall astra?
Normally a bolt on the alternator adjusts the belt tension, and another bolt acts as the pivot. Removing those bolts will let you remove the alternator and belt.Can anyone help me with a vauxhall astra?
haynes book at local library free will tell u howCan anyone help me with a vauxhall astra?
Excellent advice from Sophi B!



In addition to this, when tensioning the belt check that you've got 10mm free play at the longest run before tightening the bolts.