Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Question about whether to change/rebuild alternator?

Hello, in my 100,000 mile Camaro my battery failed on me.



Replaced battery and now seems fine. The on dash voltmeter reads above 13V



The mechanic said when he tested it that his instrument showed that the needle was going a little back and forth. he told me that the battery wasn't holding a full charge.



----



my question is that isn't it normal for the needle to move around a bit as long as it stays above 13V. I spent 120.00 on the battery and cant afford 240.00 plus for an alternator. I said how long can the car last and he says I don't know that answer. Since the cra is working now and the voltmeter reads 13V and more isn't this ok????Question about whether to change/rebuild alternator?
perfectly normalQuestion about whether to change/rebuild alternator?
Well the 1st thing you pay too much for you parts. A used alternator is just as good for like $30Question about whether to change/rebuild alternator?
Sounds_like a voltage regulator on the alternator,sooo..you'll replace the alternator if required by a another shop for less and IF the regulator is easy to get to,it'll be fast and cheaper.Thats it