Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do you change the primary battery fuse on 1998 f150?

I changed my alternator only after 1 1/2 years of replacing it. When I put in the new one, the battery was not being charged. The guys at Advanced Auto asked me if it was a Ford. I said yes, and he told me that I could have blown the fuse. If it is the Primary battery fuse, how do I know if it is blown?? Please help, I can't drive it anywhere to have someone do it.How do you change the primary battery fuse on 1998 f150?
Okay, the last time I checked, that fuse would be in a box INSIDE of the engine compartment. Look near the battery first off. There should be a black box right next to it with white lettering on it. Those are the big fuses. Once opened, there will be a list of which fuse is for what thing. Remove the fuse and go get the new one. Remember to use di-electric grease when re-installing the fuse so to make a better power connection as well as easier installation and removal if necessary.How do you change the primary battery fuse on 1998 f150?
Follow the main battery wire from the alternator back to the battery.. it will go under a cover on the passenger side before it heads to the battery.. under that cover (depending upon the year, there may be two.. a outer cover and a smaller cover where you psycially see the wires going in and out of that is taped) is a 175 amp fuse... it's about a $10 fuse... it's bolted in and removal of the battery cables to replace is neccesary



There are also a fuse from the dash to the alternator.. if that fuse is blown, it will cause same headaches...



Third thing is, I've had bad luck with some aftermarket alternators causing alternator light to stay on even as it is charging the battery among other things...



Check your fuses... then check the alternator.