Thursday, September 22, 2011

The gas dial on my 98 malibu is below the stop. how do i fix that.?

i recently changed the alternator and had to disconnect my battery. after installing the new alternator i started the car and my gas gage was below e. it is stuck under the stop that it rests on when the car is off. when i start the car it springs up to the stop so it looks like the car is always out of gas. is there a way that i can fix this problem. i am not good with math and figuring out how much gas i have by way of how many miles i went is too much calculating.The gas dial on my 98 malibu is below the stop. how do i fix that.?
You need to have it replaced. It sounds like it spun all the way around and ended up under the stop. Possible a tension spring has sprung inside the gauge. That means you may have to get a replacement cluster. Contact you local Chevy dealer to find out the proper procedures. Possible cost for a cluster? $200-$300? Plus the labor to remove and replace it---$90? Just giving ballpark figures so you know what you may be getting to.The gas dial on my 98 malibu is below the stop. how do i fix that.?
honestly, you'd have to disassemble the cluster, open the gauge, and unstick it. (I know, not the answer you wanted)The gas dial on my 98 malibu is below the stop. how do i fix that.?
the first answer you got is right.you can take a cluster out and remove the front lense.unstuck the needle.I did it a bunch of times on a malibu.