Thursday, September 22, 2011

This is to Lunatic72... I have no idea how to "let you know."?

Here's what's wrong with my car...the thermostat gets stuck. My heater, and I say that loosly, blows cold air almost all the time. When I slow down it blows cold air, when I turn the amount of heat that is suppose to blow from low to high it blows cold air. It will blow slighly warm air only if I am going 60mph or greater and then only for a little while. May be 2 minutes. Then it blows cold again. Plus it doesn't blow very hard out of the vents. I was informed that it was the heating element. I'm guessing that the heating element and the heater core are the same thing? I can not afford to take it to a shop to fix and I do like to workon cars, I just don't have enough knowledge as to where and how to get to the heating element. I can take stuff off and put it back on that's not a problem. I have replaced alternators, changed spark plugs and I change my own oil. Plus I have put a starter on my dune buggie. So I'm not a complete idiot. But this heating element is getting the best of me.This is to Lunatic72... I have no idea how to %26quot;let you know.%26quot;?
Start by replacing your thermostat... if it's sticking... your coolant never stays in the engine block long enough to get any form of heat from it... and without hot coolant flowing through your heater core... the fan will just blow cold. Thermostat is cheap and easy... start there for sure.This is to Lunatic72... I have no idea how to %26quot;let you know.%26quot;?
try putting a higher temp. thermostat in. then check your fresh air intake and make sure there are no leaves or debris blocking it. As for the heater core, get ready to tear your dash half out to get to it. What kind of car?This is to Lunatic72... I have no idea how to %26quot;let you know.%26quot;?
Like dr. deviance said, start with the easy cheap stuff like the thermostat. If its sticking thats a big part of why not not getting heat. And I was stating you could email me andlet me know all of this. What year, make and model is this car?This is to Lunatic72... I have no idea how to %26quot;let you know.%26quot;?
Before changing anything, backflush the heater core. I thought my problem was the thermostat also but after fiddling around I did the flush. Easy enough to do. Take the heater core lines off of the engine and flush it with a garden hose. If you are not sure which one is the inlet and outlet, put the garden to both lines. Especially if its the GM red coolant. That will crystalize and gel up in the heater core. If that doesnt do it, then I would change thermostat before the heater core.This is to Lunatic72... I have no idea how to %26quot;let you know.%26quot;?
i say again...shop manual..15 dollars...pays 4 itself...over n over....step by step on every job u do.. lists what tools needed..no one sez element...heater core will get less laughs...before u do anything are you really really really sure its the core????.. change thermostate,,flush system...flush heater core both directions seperatly...[where hoses go into engine fire wall]. refill 50/50 coolant/water....check heat door is working... we need more mechanic girls..good luckThis is to Lunatic72... I have no idea how to %26quot;let you know.%26quot;?
You can pick up a good clue about this by feeling the heater hoses for temperature.That will show if hot coolant is entering the cab.If the line is hot near the engine but cooler away from it,something isn't letting it flow.Another possibility is an air lock in the system which can happen if it's been opened for some reason.I'm sure you know this already,but to be sure the coolant level is right,take off the radiator cap with the engine cool and top off the radiator.The first thing that happens when the coolant is low will be the heater acting up as you describe.This is to Lunatic72... I have no idea how to %26quot;let you know.%26quot;?
your heater core is fine as long as you don't see water leaking on the passenger side floor, forget about the heater core, you need to put a new thermostat in the engine and if it doesn't fix the problem you need to look at the heater controls and make sure the duct doors are opening properly.