Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Car problems...dead battery..new battery+alternator?

I have a 1996 Nissan Maxima GLE. Brand new alternator and battery. I haven't start it for like 3 weeks, because I was low on gas and it would of ran out. I was waiting until this Friday since payday. My battery is completely dead, so before I go to Auto Zone and get it charged I had some questions. (Most workers at my local Auto Zone don't know much)



When I got my alternator changed at my friends shop, they did a charging system test and no problems.



Why would my battery be dead if its new along with the alternator? It shouldn't be if it hasn't been started in a few weeks.



My roommate told me it's probably a grounding problem. How much would that cost to be repaired?(estimate)



I have no idea what is going on, but it is annoying once I need to go somewhere, I can't. Please help, thanks!Car problems...dead battery..new battery+alternator?
Do you have any aftermarket electronic accessories? Radio, remote starter, fog lights, etc.? It's also possible that a wire has become loose/chaffed or an electronic device is malfunctioning and causing a draw on the battery 24/7 which eventually just kills the battery.



Have you added anything electrical lately other than the battery and alternator? If so I would suggest you recharge the battery and take the fuse out of the new device and see if it continues to drain your battery.



Electrical problems can be a pain to diagnose if you are not comfortable or familiar with wiring and electronics. Hopefully it's as simple as an interior light was accidentally left on. Don't forget to check to make sure your dome light isn't on, check your main light switch.Car problems...dead battery..new battery+alternator?
If you say the battery is completely dead with not even enough energy to light the lights and it was a new fully charged battery, that just sat in the car for three weeks. You have a parasitic ground, which means something was left on. Or else the main fuse is blown.